Thursday, July 30, 2009

Step One..

Hi Everyone!!


I hope you are all looking forward to a wonderful weekend!


I thought I would give a bit of insight to my soapmaking. I normally have a workshop in the back of my seasonal store. But, it is not winter yet. So I am making at home again!! LOL








Anyway, First is making sure you have all your tools on hand. Pictured here I am getting ready to measure my Sodium Hydroxide (aka LYE) Someone said once, I can't remember who.. No Lye No Soap. And it is Veryyyyy true.

Without lye there is no soap. even in the bath bars on the grocery shelf you will see it listed.


The lye causes a chemical change in the fats and waters and turns to soap. This is a Very scary part of soapmaking as you have to respect the lye. Being very careful wearing all safety gear. and measuring just right. ( safety gear includes goggles, gloves, mask.) In the final bars of soap there is no lye left. allot of soapmakers don't list the lye in there product as it is not in the final product. This is called saponification.



My Lye water getting cooled down and readyt o mix with my oils. Getting close to soap time!!! Hmmmm. Yummy Batches to be made... Next up a bit about My oils!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment